What's In a Name

At this point in almost every aspect of my life, I am sick of titles. I guess it’s because I’m in a transitional phase- my hair is growing, I’m graduating, I’m SINGLE. I have been single before, obviously, but now, I feel I have a new approach to men and dating. I guess they call this bitterness.
I’ve decided that I will not dance, kiss, or date. These rules are implemented and sometimes followed as a mere precaution to me finding myself in another relationship. But what if I have found something along the lines of it?
And here we are at my present situation. I’m in a constant mental battle with my rules. I made the rules to help myself, but I’m ignoring the rules to be happy. And my main argument is, “What the fuck does it matter if I dance/kiss/date a boy? He doesn’t have to be my boyfriend!”
And that’s just it. My main issue is labels. I feel stuck and suffocated with a title. There are all these pressures to think about someone else, when right now, I need to be thinking of myself. I’m making big decisions for myself right now, and don’t want the influence of anyone else.
And like a nerd, I have turned to my studies to sooth me. I actually found solace:
In linguistics, some theories argue that identification is impossible. For instance, I can’t say that something is mine because what IS “mine” and what IS “something”?
In Freud, identification in dreams is an unconscious inferential process. Finding a common element causes one to see a similarity & therefore identify it.
So really, when we identify someone/something/ourselves, we’re just perpetuating a name-game. There is no reality behind identification. Just the fact that we identified.
And there it is. I am not in a relationship. I am not dating. I am not single. I am, however, a smart, caring individual who wants to be surrounded by smart and caring individuals. And a kiss from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment